Confessions of a Car Slut

Monday, July 25, 2005

Man created the automobile. Then I was born, and I coveted the automobile. It began with matchbox cars and has evolved into my current fascination with these hunks of metal and wheels that get us from place to place.

What does my obsession mean? Should I learn how to fix them and become a mechanic? Or restore classics? Or open a dealership? I tried selling cars once, for Honda. It shocked me that the other salesmen cared nothing for the cars. They didn't care if the new VTEC brought the 3.0 V6 up to 240hp. It was just metal to them; expensive metal that could put fresh blow up their noses if they got someone to sign. I didn't last long. I wanted people to find the car they loved, but I didn't realize they wanted transportation...not a love interest.

I spend at least 2 hours a day in my car...the commute sucks. Looking at the cars around me on the highway, I realized how many suck. Badly suck. And people don't care, or don't notice. They get in, twist the key, and go. It only matters when it stops going.

Well, I've had enough. It's time to talk about cars. Perhaps putting the thoughts here will stop me from telling my wife about why I don't like the new Audi grille. And she, in turn, will be happier. I've always thought that I should sleep on Car & Driver's front step until they let me write for them. Maybe this is the beginning.

And most importantly, if you have a comment, of any kind, please share. Let me know what else you want my opinion on. And stand back, I might be contagious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home