Confessions of a Car Slut

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

1987 Nissan Sentra

As you might guess, I'm starting with the cars that I've owned. This would be my very first car, purchased right around my 17th birthday.

I don't know what letter designation the car carried; I'm sure it was a base model. Thirteen inch wheels, no passenger side mirror, no AC, no power locks/door/steering, but I do think the brakes were "power assisted". Silver, with light gray vinyl interior, 5 speed, 2 door, and dreadfully spartan. I learned to drive by engine noise, because there was no tachometer. The defroster didn't work much, all the speakers (which would total 2) were shot because of water damage, and the trunk was completely unlined. Purchased it for $1800.

It wasn't all bad. First, I was almost the first of my friends to own car which meant that the Sentra was privy to more than its fair share of boyish mischief. The car was certainly not speedy, but damn durable. I quickly learned how to reverse up to 30 mph, cut the wheel, yank the E-brake and spin the car in a smoking 180. Watching so much Knight Rider paid off.

Most surprising was the Sentra's off road capability. You might think that a stripped Japanese economy coupe riding on nearly shot 115/80/13's couldn't hack it off the pavement. You are wrong. I took that car across many lawns, playgrounds, school fields, curbs, and even through a foot of water. It even took jumps pretty well. I'm not kidding.

For $1800, I got a bullet proof little car that offered zero creature comforts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home